Retinol is an important and widely sought after ingredient in skincare products. While it is usually thought of to slow the skin aging process, the benefits of retinol are not limited to anti-aging. it is actually an effective ingredient for a wide variety of skin concerns. Many will find that retinol can improve the skin’s overall texture, elasticity, and moisture levels and while retinol today is still very synonymous with anti-aging, it has been found to improve not only acne, but also other skin conditions such as keratosis pilaris, psoriasis and some types of cancers.
How does it work?
Retinol or retinoic acid belongs to a class of substances called retinoids, which are derived from vitamin A. The ingredient is a powerful agent in skincare products for the following reasons:
- In the form of retinol, vitamin A has a very small molecular structure which allows retinol products to penetrate the skin and work hard to improve skin condition.
- Retinol has been proven to help visibly increase skin firmness/plumpness and diminish the look of fine lines and wrinkles, improve skin tone and refine the pores and surface of the skin.
- Retinol is an exfoliant that can help unclog pores and clear existing acne – this can prevent acne and also clear the way so other acne ingredients/treatments can work better.
What you need to know:
Retinol is an important skincare ingredient for anti-aging, acne and overall health of the skin. But, there are some serious things to consider with retinol usage:
- When using retinol, it’s imperative that sunscreen is also used, as a topical retinoid can cause major sensitivity to sunlight and worsen the issues of dark spots and sun damage.
- This particularly potent ingredient can also cause skin sensitivity in the form of inflammation, burning, and peeling, so be sure to treat skin gently and follow all instructions included with the retinol product you’re using.
- Those who are pregnant should not use retinol, as it can have harmful effects on a developing fetus.
- Any product containing a form of vitamin A will deteriorate upon air/light exposure. Retinol products should be in opaque bottles/tubes that do not have air/light exposure.
Retinol is a powerful and effective ingredient and when used correctly, it can be key to improving the health and appearance of the skin and various skin conditions.
The SLMD Clarifying Treatment is formulated with retinol to keep skin clear while restoring its natural radiance. The treatment contains a proprietary time release technology to deliver vitamin A throughout the night so the ingredients work hard while you sleep.