Everyone gets acne or a breakout at some point and we are all looking for ways that we can prevent, combat and treat our acne from home. While a proper skincare routine is the most effective and consistent way to keep your skin looking its best, there are times when we need a quick fix or a product targeted towards a stubborn breakout or problem area.
This is where using an acne spot treatment comes into play. Most spot treatments do just that – they treat a specific spot or area of the skin. Depending on the type of pimple/skin, there are a variety of different types of spot treatments that can be very effective. While a spot treatment can be a very regular part of any skincare regimen, there are some occasions where it can be especially useful:
- When you know the breakout is coming. For those who experience hormonal breakouts or can “feel” the pimple forming, a spot treatment can be used to prevent the blemish from surfacing.
- When you experience acne in only targeted areas on your skin and do not want to irritate unaffected skin or waste product by using a product meant for the entire face.
- Depending on the active ingredient, many spot treatments can also be used to prevent post-acne scarring and lightening of dark spots on the skin.
- As many active ingredients used in skincare products (especially those used in acne products) can be irritating and cause side effects, using a spot treatment is a great way to introduce a new product to your skin while minimizing any possible side effects.
Spot Treatment Ingredients:
There are a variety of different spot treatment formulas available but for the best results, you should choose a spot treatment with an active ingredient that works for your acne/skin type and lifestyle. For example, some spot treatments are meant to be used overnight, some dry clear so they can be worn during the day, and others include a concealer so they work as both a treatment and cosmetic. Find a spot treatment with one of these acne fighting actives:
- Benzoyl peroxide: an antiseptic that destroys bacteria in the pore, an anti-inflammatory agent, and an oxidizer that can help to inject air into the pores and loosen oils/bacteria trapped inside
- Salicylic acid: helps to clear out the pore, is an anti-inflammatory and is a keratolytic, helping to dissolve keratin and exfoliate the skin
- Sulfur: Dries out pimples and helps to reduce inflammation
A spot treatment is the perfect way to combat an unsightly blemish AND prevent new pimples from forming. While we can’t always predict our breakouts, finding the right spot treatment for your acne and skin type will keep you prepared and ready to treat acne no matter when it happens.
The SLMD Acne Spot Treatment clears away blemishes and prevents future breakouts using a maximum strength benzoyl peroxide formula that kills pimple-causing bacteria and reduces the size of current breakouts, while keeping the skin’s moisture levels even and normal.