You’ve made your travel plans, have started holiday shopping, and RSVP’d to a friendsgiving, or an ugly sweater party or two. It’s the greatest time of year — but it does not seem like the greatest time for your skin… We’re here to explain why the holidays can be a rough time of year for your complexion, and here to help you make it better!
Why does my skin breakout during the holidays?
Overindulging in food and drink, getting less sleep, and traveling all provide opportunities for our skin to act up. Stress can also exacerbate skin conditions, because it weakens the immune system and makes it harder to fight irritation and inflammation.
How to minimize skin damage during the holidays:
1. In terms of your skincare regimen, be consistent and keep things as normal as possible. The reality is that most of us don’t have time to do a 10 step skincare routine, and even if we do, we are more likely to do things if we keep them simple. SLMD’s Acne System was created with this in mind - it’s just 3 steps and formulated with active ingredients made to treat current breakouts and prevent future ones.
2. If you’re traveling on a plane, on a long car ride, or potentially going to fall asleep due to a food coma — have some cleansing wipes on you. Wipes like SLMD Step Zero: Cleansing Wipes will ensure that your pores don’t have the chance to get clogged with makeup, bacteria, dead skin cells, or anything else that might come in contact with your skin.
3. Wear SPF (and reapply it!) every day, even when it’s not sunny out. Rain, shine, or snow, UV rays are always present and can contribute to signs of aging in the future, and worsen dark spots or scars in the present, if skin is not protected. SLMD’s Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15 is a great way to incorporate sunscreen into your routine because it plays the role of a moisturizer and a broad-spectrum sunscreen. If the idea of reapplying a moisturizer doesn’t appeal to you, SLMD’s UV Bounce is a powdered broad-spectrum mineral sunscreen that will protect and mattify your complexion.
4. If you are prone to dry skin during the winter months, incorporate a serum into your routine! A serum like SLMD’s Hyaluronic Acid Serum is made with Hyaluronic Acid (the same acid used in facial fillers) that can hold 1,000 times its weight in water and effectively hydrate parched skin, and fill in fine lines, and wrinkles.
5. Always have a spot treatment on hand. You never know when a pimple may pop up before a date or an event! SLMD’s BP Spot Treatment will shrink red, inflamed, under the skin pimples by killing acne causing bacteria on the spot. SLMD’s Salicylic Acid Spot Treatment will break up sebum and dead skin cells that cause non inflammatory pimples, like blackheads and whiteheads
6. Easier said than done, but try to catch more z’s! Lack of sleep will make you feel bad, and impact your skin giving you bags under your eyes and making it more sallow.
7. If you know your skin is particularly sensitive, try not to go too ham on the cheese board or dairy products. While we aren’t strong believers in the correlation between food and breakouts, we do recognize that elevated hormones in dairy can be an exacerbating factor and play a role in acne.
In preparation for the holidays, keep these tips in mind and you’re bound to look and feel a whole lot better!