3 Reasons You Should Try an Acne System
Managing acne can be confusing: between all that online advice and the endless options of the skincare aisle, choosing the right regimen might seem impossible. Wondering if a prepackaged acne routine is right for you? Here are 3 reasons why Dr. Pimple Popper recommends trying an acne system.
2 minute read
Managing acne can be confusing: between all that online advice (toothpaste spot treatment?) and the endless options of the skincare aisle, choosing the right regimen might seem impossible.
Enter the prepackaged acne routine: collections of products specially formulated to treat breakouts in tandem. Wondering if an acne system is the way to go? Spoiler alert: we’re big fans — here’s 3 reasons why.
3 minute read
#1 Derms use a multi-ingredient approach
Study after study shows that the most effective way to manage acne is to use a combination of ingredients, instead of just one. This is because monotherapy (just one ingredient) isn’t capable of tackling every stage of acne.
Remember that breakouts begin inside the pores: dysregulated skin cell shedding and excess sebum form an oily plug that slowly becomes visible as a blackhead or whitehead. When C. acnes bacteria invades, the immune response triggers inflammatory pimples.
Different ingredients control different stages of acne:
- Salicylic acid helps calm inflammation and clear out the clogged pores
- Benzoyl peroxide kills acne-causing bacteria, calms inflammation and loosens debris inside pores
- Sulfur inhibits C. acnes bacteria and helps regulate oil production
- Retinol regulates cell turnover within the pore lining, exfoliates and calms inflammation
#2 Formulations make a difference
This one’s true on a couple of different levels:
- Quality: skincare manufacturers have many choices when formulating their acne products. The effectiveness of the end result depends on everything from purity of ingredients to manufacturing protocols to pH of the final product, and more.
- Synergy: skincare systems are designed to work together, so each formula is crafted with the other products in mind. When you purchase individual acne remedies, you may encounter a variety of issues. Ingredients in one product can counteract those in another, or products can contain similar ingredients, leading to higher, irritating concentrations.
Look for an all-in-one solution from a trusted, well-reviewed brand (we’re partial to SLMD Acne System, of course). That way you know that the products carry a high level of quality and have been designed to work perfectly together.
#3 It’s a no-brainer
When you’re struggling with acne breakouts, the last thing you need is to stand in the middle of the skincare aisle reading labels and searching up ingredients on your phone. Choosing a skincare system gets you to healthier skin faster, and with less stress.
Plus, all-in-one systems take out all the guesswork from acne treatment, telling you exactly which product to use when, how much to apply, and in what order. SLMD takes it a step further, with a separate solution, the Sensitive Skin Acne System, for those who don’t tolerate benzoyl peroxide well. And because face and body skin are different, there’s a Body Acne System, as well.
Dr. Lee’s last word
My Acne System was the first skincare solution I launched with my SLMD line. It was really important to me to fill the need I saw in the community, to deliver dermatological ingredients in an easy-to-use, over the counter system. Everyone deserves healthier skin!
—Dr. Sandra Lee